Friday, February 8, 2013

Pinterest success! Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Milkshake

I'll admit it: I'm a Pinterest junkie.



Pinterest is addictive. Let's just admit that. It might seem lame, but it's a good idea. A virtual corkboard to keep all of the interesting things you find online - outfits, recipes, DIY projects, funny little snippets, anything. It keeps everything organized and at your fingertips. It's great.



Anyway. Specifically, what I wanted to discuss is this shake I found on Pinterest. Now, I've found a lot of dubious recipes on Pinterest, and some that didn't SEEM dubious, but yielded disastrous results (I've also found a lot of successful recipes, but that's not the point I've clearly set out to make). This shake recipe was one that SOUNDED kind of gross...or at least like it would turn out boring...but the picture on the pin looked so delicious that I just had to try it. And it turned out to be absolutely delightful! Allow me to share.




The idea behind this shake was to make, I guess, a chocolate peanut butter milkshake that's not horrifically unhealthy. The only ingredients are frozen bananas, cocoa powder, natural peanut butter, almond milk (which I didn't have, so I just used regular 1% milk), vanilla extract, maple syrup (which I didn't want to use, so I used agave nectar), and ice. The recipe listed specific amounts of ingredients and instructions, but all I did was this: break up a frozen banana and toss it into my ninja with a big spoonful of natural PB (I think the peanut butter being natural is key, otherwise it'd make the shake too sweet), a tablespoon of cocoa powder, a big splash of milk, a tiny splash of vanilla, a squeeze of agave, a tiny pinch of kosher salt, and a scoop of ice, and blend it until it was smooth. I expected it to be mediocre at best, but it was freakin' delicious! It tasted like a rich, thick chocolate/peanut butter/banana milkshake, and it was only mildly sweet, which somehow made it taste more decadent. The amount that I made  added up to be about half of the recipe that Pinterest yielded, and I shared it with Jeff. I think that the full amount that I made would be a perfect size for a filling breakfast, or for a really satisfying dessert - and it's relatively healthly and low calorie, at least compared to a traditional ice cream shake. I highly recommend throwing one together; it takes about 45 seconds to make.



Happy sipping! 




No comments:

Post a Comment