Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Why I hate even more people than usual currently.

I hate election years.



Obviously I'm not alone in the "I don't want to hear peoples' opinions on politics" camp. Most people are right there with me. For good reason. I understand that the way our country is being run is important. I do. And of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's one of the things that makes this country great.


But for the love of God, please please PLEASE keep that opinion to yourself.


Or hey. You know what, share it. Share the hell out of that opinion. But do it in an appropriate forum. Call NPR. Join a political message board (are message boards still a thing?). Talk to your dog about it. I don't really care. Just STOP POSTING SHIT ABOUT IT ON FACEBOOK. Don't start talking about it at the bar. Or at work. Or to your 9 year old's teacher. Stop it. I don't care that you think Obama is a gay Muslim terrorist who hid his super fabulous gay past in a nefarious plan to end Christianity forever (this is an actual theory that I read). Stop it, because once I find out that you're batshit crazy, or a horrible person, or just FUCKING STUPID, I can't un-find it out. And my opinion of you will change. And I probably thought you were just the bee's knees before. And probably so did other people. And now I don't, and they probably don't either.



I'm personally not ridiculously educated, politically speaking. I know the fundamentals of each party, I know the positions of each candidate on the major financial and social issues. I vote for all of the major elections. I'm not as active as I probably should be, but I'm not COMPLETELY ignorant. I admittedly have my own opinions. Strong ones, actually. I'm an opinionated person. The thing is, though, that I keep them to myself, for the most part. I realize that spouting my opinion off to everyone I see is not going to help/change anything, and will just make people want to do ANYTHING other than talk to me, ever again. And if YOU start spouting off YOUR opinion to ME, and it's FUCKING STUPID AND MISINFORMED, not only do I end up thinking that you're an idiot, I want to TELL you that you're an idiot, and explain WHY you're an idiot. And then, BAM! I'm talking about goddamn politics.


I don't want to do that.



Don't make me do things I don't want to do.

1 comment: