Monday, November 24, 2014

Say It's Not Her Fault?

WARNING: This post is not timely. And it's kind of unrelated to anything. Okay, you've been warned. Proceed at your own discretion.

Can we talk for a minute about that Robyn song "Call Your Girlfriend"? I have a random Spotify radio station playing as background music as I cook, and it just came on. And every time I hear this song, I have the same thought: I take issue with this. At first, it was like "Okay, I can kind of get down to this song." The next time I heard it, I listened a little more closely to the lyrics and was like "Lol, WTF?" And then I heard it a bunch more times, and each time I hear it the WTF factor goes up a little.

If you're unfamiliar with the lyrics, here's a link. Take a gander. I understand that music is a form of expression, and it's important that the artist feels free to not censor themselves, blah blah blah - no, I truly am one hundred percent behind that idea, don't get me wrong. But I take issue with the entire idea behind this song as person who's been cheated on - or, you know, as a person, in general. It's supposed to be a happy, romantic song about how this guy's finally found someone who truly GETS him, and they're going to run off together and be happy for the rest of their lives and make each other daisy crowns and roll in a field full of golden retriever puppies. Oh, but first he just has to let his girlfriend know he's leaving her for this other broad who he cheated on her with. No big deal, though! No hard feelings, his girlfriend didn't do anything wrong! He'll even still be her friend! She goes as far as to recommend explaining that it's just "so different when they kiss".

WHAT!!!

This is the most delusional nonsense I have ever heard. She's telling this guy to go give his current girlfriend this whole condescending speech about how it's not her, it's him, and SOMEDAY, SOMEONE will love her EVENTUALLY (maybe), but he still wants to be her friend! And meanwhile, the music is SO bright and optimistic that you have this whole scene in your head where you can't hear what's going on, but you can see the girl tearing up a little bit, but then she nods and gives the guy a big hug and a brave smile, and they go off their separate ways and everyone lives happily ever after. In fact, I haven't seen the video, but I would put a small amount of money on the storyline of the video playing out exactly like that. It's just so wrong. I hope that this song is supposed to be satirical or just a straight up joke, but I seriously doubt it.

"And you tell her that the only way her heart will mend/Is when she learns to love again/And it won't make sense right now but you're still her friend/And you let her down easy" Just, WHAT THE HELL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment