Thursday, December 6, 2012

'Tis the season...

So, I fucking love Christmas.



(If I decide to revamp this blog to include baking and DIY and whatnot, do I have to stop swearing? I have a FOUL mouth. I don't like the idea of censoring myself. Hmm.)



Anyway, I love Christmas. I really love it. All of it. You know how most people say that going to the mall during the Christmas season puts them in a bad mood and makes them homicidal? It has the complete opposite effect on me. I LOVE the mall during the holidays. I love Christmas music (in moderation). And while I'm generally a music snob, I listen to THE MOST RIDICULOUS Christmas music. Hanson's "Snowed In" is my favorite Holiday album. Bieber? Sure! Taylor Swift? Heck yeah! I love Christmas decorations, especially the lights. I love eggnog. You KNOW I love to drink, and the holidays are an excuse to do so. Also, I love champagne (or sparkling wine, I guess), and I can drink it without feeling like a trashy housewife during the holidays. I like wrapping presents. I love spending time with family.  I could go on. I love, love, love Christmas. And my birthday is December 12th, so it falls right in with the Christmas festivities. This time of year makes me excited and wiggly like a puppy.



Anyway. Now that Thanksgiving is over and everyone is done yapping about what they're thankful for, I've decided to recognize some of the things that I'M thankful for (always gotta stand out, don't you Genco?). And I was to call to attention some of the smaller things that I'm thankful for/make me happy. Obviously you're thankful for your friends and job and family (unless you REALLY hate your job or have a REALLY AWFUL family, I guess). You already realize that, so to call it to attention most likely isn't going to make you feel any happier than you already do. I find that a lot of my happiness comes from getting REALLY UNREASONABLY EXCITED about the silly little things in life. Things that you would generally take for granted, or not really even notice. If you get really pumped about these things, there will be several instances over the course of the day where you'll actually feel really excited and happy. It sounds nuts and kind of dumb (and probably a little superficial), but try it. It works. For example, some of the things that I'm thankful for on a daily basis are:

  • Coffee
  • My pretty mugs from Anthropologie
  • Cottage doubles
  • Holiday specials on the Food Network
  • TiVo
  •  Seasonal drinks
  • Coffee shops (particularly Brew Haha)
  • Pretty nail polish colors (right now I'm really digging "The next CEO" by Nicole, which is a great gold color)
  • J.Crew factory online
  • Spotify
  • Healthy snacks (I've been on a cucumber dipped in soy sauce or hard boiled egg kick)
  • SheInside
  • Sweaters
  • Scarves
  • Window shopping
  • Red wine
  • Breakfast
  • DIY/Home decor blogs
  • Baking blogs
  • Fashion blogs
  • Uggs (just to run errands in, shut up)
  • Leggings
  • My long hair, because I can just throw it in a top knot or a braid and go
  • Happy hour with friends
  • House hunting (also House HuntERS)
  • The panic attacks I have every time I watch Homeland
  • Christmas lights
  • Glitter/gold anything
  • Softlips
  • e.l.f. cosmetics
  • Craft beer
  • Snow (ESPECIALLY in Delaware, I love how everything STOPS the second a flake falls)
  • My bed
  • Throw blankets
  • Etsy
  • Roadtrip singalongs with Jeffrey
  • The fact that my boyfriend's family doesn't suck
  • The fact that my friends and I STILL do things like holiday themed power-hours and flip cup, even though we're almost 30.
  • Outdoor festivals (Italian fest, Oktoberfest, music festivals, etc)
  • Baby clothes that look like adult clothes
  • Our annual New Years day celebration
  • Target
  • Trader Joe's
That's just a small list, but as you can see, I get really excited over the dumbest little every day stuff.  It may be silly, but it keeps me happy even where there isn't anything special going on to be excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment