Monday, October 6, 2014

Comfort Shows



Up until recently, I wasn't into watching reruns. Of course, there were a few exceptions - I'm pretty much always game for The Office from season 1 - season 4 or so, and of course Jeff and I will do marathon re-watches of various favorite shows, but other than that, I could think of better things to do with my time than re-watch sitcoms I had already seen (sometimes multiple times over). *DISCLAIMER - usually the "better things to do" involved filling imaginary J. Crew shopping bags online, or reading hard - hitting investigative articles on whether or not enjoying brunch makes you an asshole.*

Anyway, for some reason lately, my position on re-runs has changed. I don't know if it's my recently acquired tendency to act like a 45 year old housewife and mother of three or my slow descent into insanity, but whenever I'm by myself or at the gym, all I want to do is watch re-runs of (usually embarassing) shows that I've seen 5 times, or TERRIBLE trashy reality shows which I would never have dreamed of watching in the past. I had a similar situation in the past: when my ex and I broke up, I was a heartbroken mess (emphasis on the MESS, you guys) and would sit at my mom's house for hours on end watching re-runs of Scrubs. This was back when Scrubs was still on, and was for some reason syndicated on like three different channels, and was therefore on at LEAST 4 times a day, and I'd watch it every single time (did I mention that I was also unemployed? Well, I was.). It was all that comforted my sensitive, melodramatic young heart. This makes me concerned for my current mental state, but I digress...



  1. Sex and the City.  I'm confident that I've seen every episode of this show at least twice. Back when it was still on, I owned certain portions of certain seasons on VHS because I was B-R-O-K-E back then and would only buy them when they went on clearance at my local Hollywood Video. So, while I've seen every episode twice, there are certain episodes that I've seen about 70 times and can quote every word to. I don't even think I LIKE this show, and don't know if I ever did, but I LOVE IT SO MUCH at the same time. Ah, womanhood. I'm not even sure how I manage to stomach watching it due to the fact that I am 100% unabashedly in recognition of the fact that I am the Miranda in every single group of friends I have ever been in, and knowing this fact is a dark, dark thing.
  2. Full House. This is the one that makes me a little concerned for my emotional state. It's like...Full House is great. It was my favorite show growing up when I was actually LITTLE, and I hadn't really seen it since it ended in the early 90's. Of course it makes me nostalgic to watch it, but...like, I shouldn't ENJOY watching it as much as I do. It was pretty well written for what it was, but it's extremely cheesy and sickeningly sweet, and good lord is it DATED. But oh man, do I love watching it. I will pretty much literally watch it every time I see that it's on, and have gone so far as to force Jeff to watch it on occasion (which is how I know I've found a true humanitarian to spend my life with). 
  3. Keeping Up With the Kardashians. I was late in the game with this one, and I am in such a shame spiral about the fact that I finally gave in. I was the self-righteous one who would raise my eyebrows to high heavens any time someone talked about Khloe or Kim or Kourtney (or Kendall or Kylie or Kris...ugh), and was maybe a little TOO proud of the fact that I had no clue which one was which (except for Kim, obviously). Then, one fateful day, E! happened to be on in the background and I caught about 30 seconds of one episode, and it was ALL OVER. I can't stop watching it. AND I THINK KHLOE IS KIND OF COOL. Like, I'd actually hang out with her. I'm considering watching Khloe and Kourtney take the Hamptons. I mean, WHAT WILL SCOTT DO NEXT?? That guy is crazy.
  4. The Office. I'll always watch pretty much any Office re-run, with the exception of the last 2 seasons (I mean, James Spader is pretty much the greatest ever, but Robert California? Come on. And don't even get me STARTED on Will Farrell's stint.) That show was my life for at least 4 years, and even after that it'll always hold a special place in my heart, and I will watch all of the Christmas episodes probably 100 times in my life. I don't even care if it's the Christmas season, and I'm usually a stickler for staying true to the season to a freakish level.
  5. How I Met Your Mother. I had a pretty tumultuous relationship with this show, because when it started sucking, IT REALLY SUCKED (Zoey? More like NO-ey.) But the first several seasons were magical, and I think Jeff and I consider it to be unofficially "Our Show". Some couples have songs, some shut-in couples have shows. Quit judging us.
  6. Gilmore Girls. No explanation required, I think.
  7. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. This show has had a weird run - it went from kind of lackluster in its first season to HYSTERICAL in the next few seasons to almost unwatchably bizarre (and I LIKE bizarre), but there are episodes in the earlier seasons that I haven't seen, and I'll watch it pretty much whenever I see an episode in my TiVo suggestions list, and if "The Nightman Cometh" or the one where Dee and Charlie become cannibals pops up, it's the best day ever.
  8. Friends. Another one I've seen every episode of, many multiple times. I'm not a Friends fanatic like a lot of people are (though I was pretty into it when it was on), and can't quote every episode or name every random fact about every character on the show, and until recently had no interest in watching the series over, but it's always on after my beloved Full House, and I think it's been long enough now to where I'll watch an episode every now and again. My favorites are the Thanksgiving episodes. Always a delight. 

So, there it is. If I'm ever at home by myself and it's after 5 PM (I have this weird thing where I don't like to watch TV during the day, with the exception of cooking shows and sometimes HGTV), I'm probably on my couch with a beer watching something embarrassing. What shows do you watch over and over, even if you don't necessarily like them?

No comments:

Post a Comment