Thursday, November 20, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up

This week feels like the last relatively low-key week before the holiday buzz sets in. I'm already well into my Christmas shopping, and tomorrow I'll do my big grocery haul for Thanksgiving. I've taken the entire beginning of the week leading up to the holiday off, so I'll be able to prep everything at my (relative) leisure. I'm already starting to feel the excitement of the season, and I think this year in particular is going to be one for the books.

This weekend, we're going to see some friends play music at a local bar. It'll be nice to get out and see the gang; it's a rare occasion these days to see each other outside of going to each others' homes. The rest of the weekend will be spent sprucing up the house for Thanksgiving, baking pies, and relaxing before the glorious holiday chaos arrives. Some highlights from the week:

  • My camera arrived! I ended up purchasing a Nikon D3100, which is an older model, but it got really solid reviews and since it's my first DSLR, I wasn't looking for anything crazy fancy or advanced. I definitely have a lot to learn, but I think I finally got the general scheme of things down (I wasn't used to the way I held the camera or pressed the shutter affecting my pictures!). I'm excited to learn the ins and out of taking beautiful pictures - if anyone has any tips for a clueless beginner, I'm all ears!
  • Gifts I've been ordering online have been slowly rolling in, and I'm getting SO JAZZED! I haven't started wrapping yet, though, and I'm starting to run out of hiding places in the house for Jeff's unwrapped gifts. Time to do a gift wrap haul!
  • Loft had one of their crazy sales earlier in the week, so I stocked up on some new leggings and a cozy sweatshirt to go with. I'm particularly excited for these.
  • The company Jeff and I work for has an amazing rewards program and he had a bunch of points accumulated, so he ordered me a Le Creuset stockpot - If you're into cooking at all, you know that my head practically fell off with excitement when it arrived. I'm taking it on its maiden voyage as we speak with a big pot of tomato bisque. It'll be perfect for simmering stock throughout my Thanksgiving cooking, and I plan on braising pretty much anything I can get my grimy little hands on for the remainder of the winter. 

And some gems from around the web:

  • This is where I grew up. People are literally BARRICADED with snow! Buried cars! Buried houses! I'm used to some crazy weather, but this is bananas. I hope everyone's staying safe!
  •  I'm torn between here and here for my birthday dinner. Has anyone been to either? They both look AMAZING.
  • I'm a little obsessed with this rug
  • .Best beers to drink this winter. Proud of my Southern Tier for making the list!
  • Last Thanksgiving was my first attempt at a whole turkey, and it turned out incredible. Like mind-meltingly good. I used the Simple Roast Turkey recipe from this Times article. It was ridiculously easy and apparently fool-proof. I'll be using it again this year.
  • This book has been serving as my Thanksgiving bible.

Have a great weekend!

image via Hello Giggles

No comments:

Post a Comment